Friday, January 31, 2014

Nuts About Soap

I wasn't really sure what I was looking for when I stumbled across these but I am sure glad that I did! When I first read the description, "Soap Nuts", I was a little hesitant to purchase them but then I read all the 5 star reviews and I couldn't resist, I had to at least try them! So I went over to my local health food store and bought a bag. I was pleasantly surprised to see how small the bag was and how many loads of laundry it could clean...85! Wowzers! That is a TON! After the first wash and dry I could definitely feel and smell the diffrence. The clothes were super soft (without having to use a fabric softener) and it smelled like fresh clean cotton! Husband was pretty impressed too! So we decided to give these little soap nuts a home!
Soap Nuts are super easy to use and take up very little space which is a factor that I definately love. This bag came with an even smaller muslin  bag to place 4 soap nuts in and put in the washer with the dirty clothes.

So what else is so great about Soap Nuts? 


  • It is isn't really a nut! It's actually a fruit that grows on the Sapindus Mukarossi tree! These trees are found in Northern India, Indonesia, and Nepal. So if you have a nut allergy, say a little cheer! You can use these too!
  • They are hypoallergenic. So they are safe for the whole family including baby!
  • No need for fabric softeners. 
  • When you are done using the soap nuts (no more soap left) you can throw them out or throw them in your compost!
  • You don't have a giant bulky plastic bottle lying around. If you are like me and have an insanely limited space, then this is a major plus!
  • Soap Nuts are oder-less. They allow the natural smell of cotton to really shine!
  • They are economical! They cause very little per load at $10 per bag cleaning 85 loads of laundry!
  • They are safe for front and top loading machines! (Just use a few more for front loading as they tend to wash more clothes)
I mean really...need I say more? This little nutty fruit is amazing! Who would have ever thought that soap could grow on trees?

FYI: Soap Nuts are made of the REAL soap called saponin. Soap is the man made version of the natural occurring saponin. Unfortunately, with all that man made stuff, you also get toxic chemicals like Sodium Laureth Sulfate which cause skin irritation and other health risks! 

So...how do you know when there isn't anymore soap? Easy. Take a small empty jar and while your warm/hot load is filling with water collect some water in the jar. Place the soap nuts you've been using in the jar and shake. If there aren't anymore suds and they have a grayish tinge, it's time for new soap nuts! Super simple and easy! Also, if you are doing a cold wash, be sure to place the nuts in some hot water to soften the saponin on the nuts. 



Now, besides these amazing soap nuts, I also wanted to give you two little tips on how to remove those pesky  adhesives from glass jars. It's pretty simple really....

  1. Soak clean jar in warm/hot water.
  2. Peel off as much of the paper as you can.
  3. With the rough side of the kitchen sponge wash the jar well.
  4. Take Olive Oil and with a cloth or paper towel rub all remaining adhesive. (this also works with rubbing alcohol)
That simple!

If you want more info on where you can buy soap nuts you can check out the links below! Thanks for reading! And don't forget to subscribe so you don't miss out on all the fun!

XoXo! 
Janice


If you live in the TAMPA/BRANDON area:


EVERYWHERE ELSE:



No comments:

Post a Comment